- This event has passed.
Fishy Fam Community Clean Up
August 27 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Hey Fam! Join us for a community beach clean up on Saturday, August 27th at Five Mile Beach!
About this event
Hey Fam! Thank you for your interest in attending our community beach clean-up, which is organized by Fishy Fam. Please read below for important information about this event.
* Date: August 27, 2022
* Where: Five Mile Beach by 21st Ave Beach 498 E 21st Ave North Wildwood NJ 08260
* Time:10:30 AM EST – 12:30 PM EST
The cleanup will occur rain or shine.
* However, if there is potentially hazardous weather or other circumstances that require a cancellation, we will notify all registered participants by e-mail before 8 AM on the day of the event.
All attendees are required to pre-register for the cleanup using this page.
You will be asked to provide the names of attendees in your group, as well as an e-mail address. We will use the e-mail address to coordinate event logistics.
During the registration, you will be asked to carefully read and digitally sign a waiver.
Parents or legal guardians will need to sign for any minor participants.
WHAT TO BRING
– Face Covering – A face covering that covers your nose and mouth.
– Work gloves (Please bring try to bring your own pair of work gloves. We will have disposable gloves available on hand, but reusables ones are always better.)
– Sun and Bug protection (hat, sunscreen, sunglasses etc.) (It’s summer, it will be hot so please keep an eye on the weather and plan ahead)
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED
* Food and Water
* Hand sanitizer and disposable wipes
* Sanitized buckets and trash pickers for collecting trash
* Tarps for placing collected trash
* Trash bags and/or bins
* Scale to weigh the amount of trash collected
—> Come find us at the meeting point at the designated start time. Look out for the Fishy Fam flag!
—> Please be patient as we wait for everyone to arrive.
—> A team member or volunteer will check that each member of your group has pre-registered, read the event information, entered our giveaway raffle, and signed the waiver.
—> Another volunteer will help you collect cleanup equipment (buckets, tongs) before sending you off to collect trash along the beach!
—> Remember that we’re looking to collect man-made trash. Be careful if you see hazardous waste!
—> Feel free to head in any direction along the beach that you’d like. The high tide line and the edge of the sand are often places where trash accumulates.
—> There are often a lot of small microplastics on Massachusetts beaches…take some time to look closely and see what you can find.
—> Many people find that 30 to 60 minutes is a good amount of time for trash collection. If you find lots of trash, feel free to come back, drop off what you’ve found, and head back out.
—> Please plan to be back at the event site before 12 noon. The team will start herding people back towards the meeting point shortly beforehand.
—> There will be tarps set up near the meeting point where you can place the trash that you collect. There may be labeled buckets for sorting out some commonly found items.
—> Please return buckets, tongs, etc. to the designated area for used trash collection equipment.
—> Sanitize those hands when done!
—> Please take a moment to look at the trash that everyone has collected and think about and talk over your experiences.